The Lost Girls Presents:
Would you run a mile in a dress for the chance to win a trip to the mystical city of Machu Picchu in Peru? Here’s your chance!
JOIN The Lost Girls with Village Volunteers and run in a bridesmaid dress for The Fifth Avenue Mile Race in New York City!
Who: Men and Women
What: First annual one mile Runaway Bridesmaids Race – Racing to transform womens lives
When: September 22, 2012
Where: 5th Avenue, Central Park, New York City
Why: Help raise money to educate and shelter the children of sex workers through Village Volunteers partner, New Light India – a shelter, and safe home for women and children in the largest red light district in India.
- SIGN UP TO RACE (link) THROW YOUR OWN fund raising happy hour. (link) ATTEND THE POST-RACE FUNDRAISING CHAMPAGNE BRUNCH (LINK)
Who are the Lost Girls?
The Lost Girls began their journey together when they decided to quit their media jobs and New York City lives in order to embark on a yearlong, 60,000-mile circumnavigation of the globe as chronicled in The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World (HarperCollins). During their trip they volunteered in three Kenyan villages through Village Volunteers.
Win a Trip!
Collect the most pledges and WIN a tour from Adventure Life for the Runaway Bridesmaids Lost City Adventure in Peru! The grand-prize winner will be announced at a fundraiser champagne brunch in Manhattan immediately following the race.
Other Ways to Participate
Even if you can’t make the race, you can still make a difference by supporting runners through your pledges or by donating to New Light. In less than one minute, you can make a one-time or reoccurring online donation, or send a check. Choose “Runaway Bridesmaids from the donate online drop-down menu. or send a check to (put Lost Girls on the memo line):
5100 South Dawson Street, Suite 202,
Seattle, WA 98118
- $15 can buy a student a book bag or much-needed pair of shoes
- $10 can cover the required school uniform so a child can go to class
- $25 covers a child’s school supplies for a year
- $30 gives the gift of a year’s worth of health care
- $35 is all it takes to feed a child for a whole month
- $40 covers the cost of a year’s tuition for public school, and for $75 you can send a child to private school
Check out another Village Volunteers project that The Lost Girls support to transforms the lives of girls, The Butterfly Project, providing college scholarships to orphaned girls to attend college for nursing and teaching.